Established by attorney, author and pilot, Johnny Pineyro, the Take Flight Scholarship is rooted in the belief that education is the springboard to opportunity in America. The scholarship will be awarded to high school seniors with a demonstrated commitment to further their education beyond high school. The scholarship program will split up $10,000 in a contest style. Funds are to be used for tuition, books, food, housing, etc. Awarding of scholarship funds will be determined based on the following criteria: GPA (2.5 or higher), leadership, extracurricular activities, socioeconomic situation, and Boys & Girls Club participation. From the total pool of applications, a committee will select 3 finalists who will then interview individually with members of the Pineyro Education Foundation. The winner of the scholarship will then be chosen directly by the Club’s Service Director and the Pineyro Education Foundation. 1st Place Winner: $5,000. 2nd Place Winner: $3,000, and 3rd Place Winner: $2,000.
Funds for this scholarship will be based on a one-time opportunity. This scholarship is non-renewable. Once a recipient has been awarded the scholarship, it will be the recipient’s responsibility to find other financial aid to assist them in their financial needs, as necessary.
SCHOLARSHIPS AWARDS WILL BE BASED ON:
- Submission of official high school transcript
- Submission of ACT/SAT scores
- Submission of 2 recommendation letters. One from school (example: administrative, teacher, school club advisor etc.) and one from member of the community (church, volunteer organization, etc.)
- Submission of the Student Aid Report which estimates the expected family contribution towards the applicant’s education. Must complete the FAFSA process in order to obtain the SAR
- Submission of three essays (found in section E of this packet)
- Applicant’s GPA, leadership, extracurricular activities, socioeconomic situation and Boys & Girls Club participation
- Applicant must maintain regular contact with Boys & Girls Club Service Director or other designated Club staff via telephone, email or letter. This will ensure that if any problems should arise, a source will be available to contact regarding any issues, concerns or problems.
Total application, including all supplementary material, must be completed and delivered prior to 6:00 PM on May 29, 2015. (Postmarks or electronic transmissions will not be accepted.) It is the member’s responsibility to see that the application is complete and delivered to the following address by this date.
Tupperware Brands Boys & Girls Club
Pineyro Education Foundation
Take Flight Scholarship
2411 Dyer Blvd.
Kissimmee, FL 34741